Deep Dive into Boswell Science Fiction Book Club's Selections: 2010 Part One

    

 2010: 

January- The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

February- The Inverted World by Christopher Priest

March- The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

April- The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

May- The City and the City by China Mieville

June- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein

July- Darwinia by Robert Charles Wilson

August- The Player of Games by Iain M Banks

September- For the life of me, I have no memory nor notes for this selection.

October- The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin

November- Again, no notes.

December- The first and only time I skipped December.

   

I have a lot of fond memories of the start of this book club; and a few anxiety driven ones as well. I thought this book club would be done after the first year (if it even made it that far). I was convinced that I would have three members and they would all hate the books I chose and the discussions I lead. I couldn't have been more wrong. Some of the book club members that joined in 2010 are still coming. 

The lack of female representation on here is a bit glaring to me (though, there are two months that I can't find any note, so perhaps...). I know that I was thinking that if I was starting this club, then I was going to read books I had missed out on. Hence, the deep backlist in such cases- I was able to add Ursula K. Le Guin late in the year and lead me to read several of books over the course of 2011. 

The book club loved Iain M. Banks- several members have gone on to read every science fiction book that he wrote. For me, Inverted World by Christopher Priest was my favorite book of this year. It opened up my love of his writing. I still put on the occasional Priest novel, though they are bit more current than this one. 

I don't think there were any real surprises in this list, and outside of China Mieville's The City and The City, nothing was newly published. It is a list that provides a bit of a foundation for the club. Ironically, the Boswell Science Fiction Book Club have never selected any Asimov to read. 










Comments